Oil Analysis And Testing
Fuel and Oil Testing Suite
See our technical Information pages under “Areas of Analysis” or click the links in blue for more information on some of these tests.
We offer the following services in our Oil Analysis
- Full spectrographic analysis of wear metals, oil additives, contaminants by ICP (ASTM D5185). Readings are given in ppm (parts per million).
- Total ferrous debris (FW/PQ), including large particles using a 51FW meter. Units are dimensionless.
- Viscosity at 40oC and 100oC (ASTM D445), and Viscosity Index. Units in Centistokes (cSt).
- TIM (Total Insoluble Matter) given as ‘% insoluble’. Or infrared analysis of engine samples to monitor oil condition and degradation. Reported as ‘% allowable’. ‘Caterpillar method.’
- Water analysis (ASTM D1744).
The following can also carried out at the discretion of the interpreter:
- Fuel contamination by closed-cup flash point (ASTM D3278.)
- Anti-freeze by wet chemical analysis.
- Ferrography & Wear Debris Analysis are carried out when necessary.
- Photographic evidence can also be included to support/record the findings.
The following other services are available at extra cost.
- TAN & TBN are also available to IP177/400 & ASTM D2896
- Particle Counting to ISO 4406 is available. (Included with Hydraulics & Fuel Testing.)
- Coolant analysis.
- Adblue analysis.
- Diesel fuel analysis.
- Brake fluid analysis.
- Grease analysis.
- Transformer oil analysis.
The report comes with a recommendation if required. This is based on knowledge of similar or known components, derived from many years of experience in the oil analysis field.
The standard report layout is typically in PDF format, and is e-mailed to facilitate a fast turnaround. See: Sample report to read what to expect in a oil testing report.
Users of Oil Check or Emerson software can import directly into their own databases, created automatically. This enables easy handling and management of data.
Kit prices include full standard analysis and return postage.
Expected turnaround is within 2 working days, but less than 1 day is fairly typical.
An ‘Urgent’ service is available by arrangement. Tel: 01302 329609 for assistance.